PH rejects multimillion-dollar aid from UK
By Genalyn Kabiling
13 October 2017
The Philippines has rejected a multimillion dollar assistance from the United Kingdom, President Duterte announced last Thursday following his tirade against foreign interference in local affairs.
The President assured that the country could survive without the “$18-20 million” aid from the UK, asserting that he has control over the country’s foreign policy.
“The latest word from Sonny and sa Great Britain, 18-million dollars, 20. Sabi ko kay Sonny Dominguez, ‘Wag mong tanggapin. Mabubuhay rin tayo’ (I told Sonny Dominguez, ‘Do not accept it. We will survive),” the President said during the launch of the renovated Malacañang press briefing room.
“Anyway, I control the foreign affairs of this government. So ‘yung mga diyan mga noisy na (those noisy groups saying) ‘the Philippine will go hungry,’ in your ignorance, you are not the one who’d formulate the foreign policy of this country,” he said.
Duterte maintained that handling the country’s foreign affairs was the “solely the privilege of the Executive department,” not Congress and the Supreme Court.
“The conduct of external affairs of this country is not in Congress. It’s not in the Supreme Court. It is the presidency in the great separations of powers,” he said. “‘Wag mo nang tanggapin ‘yan sila [Do not accept them],” he added.
The government previously declined some foreign grants that came with conditions that may interfere with the country’s internal policies.
The President’s rejection of the UK assistance came after he lashed out at the European Union (EU) for supposedly seeking the country’s removal from the United Nations over the brutal war on drugs. Duterte also demanded the pullout of the EU ambassadors from the country in 24 hours for alleged interference on domestic affairs.